Thursday, 13 March 2014

Dear Vasco,
autumn has come once more to Curly Flat. the leaves
are falling, the days are becoming shorter and certain
birds have already departed. In the forest, yesterday
evening, I came upon a child crouched over a
tiny grave and placing flowers carefully around
the little cross made of twigs. I learned from
the child that it was a bird's grave and when
I asked what kind of bird the child, after a
long pause, simply replied, "a small, brown
bird." I left the child to its devotions and
passed on into a darker part of the forest,
with all its grandeur and peace, and was
there filled suddenly with a great grief
and also a great, tender joy and gladness
for what I had just seen. Then, a little
tearfully, I lay down on the forest floor
to contemplate the divinity of children
and small brown birds and, so doing,
I fell into a deep and blissful sleep on
a bed of ferns. How I love the forest
Vasco and how radiant is the autumn with
all its dying and going to sleep.
    Warm wishes to yourself and the duck
              Yours Truly,

                        Mr. Curly

p.s such tears and such sleeps are very good
     for the complexion, so I'm told!


Taken  from Michael Leunig's book 
'The Curly Pajama Letters'
I  strongly urge you to buy a copy
Slim


   

No comments:

Post a Comment